Technology is an essential part of curriculum and instruction at Penn Manor School District. Over the past 10 years the district has expanded classroom technology availability, promoted teacher professional development and worked to weave technology into the fabric of student learning experiences.
Just as technology has become a part of our classrooms, students have also embraced technology for communication, homework and personal studies. In the past, the use of student owned cell phones, laptops, netbooks and iPods was forbidden during the school day. Penn Manor School District has recognized the importance of allowing students to utilize their own personal technology at school for legitimate instructional activities. For this reason, all district school buildings now offer filtered guest wireless access for students in all grade levels. Student and parents need to be aware of several rules and requirements before a device is brought to school:
- The student is solely responsible for any equipment that he/she brings to school. Penn Manor School District is no liable for lost, stolen or damaged equipment.
- Student use of personal electronic devices is still prohibited during the school day unless a teacher or principal grants permission.
- The guest wireless network is to be used solely for educational purposes. Any device being used for non-educational use will be subject to disciplinarily policies outlined in the student handbook.
- Penn Manor IT staff and teachers do not install software or assist with personal student devices. Additionally, the district is not responsible for technical malfunctions on personal devices. Students are responsible for securing their devices with software updates and anti-virus tools.
- Additional details on the student guest network are available online: http://www.pennmanor.net/techblog/?p=699.
We are thrilled to offer this exciting new service and hope you and your child will be too. Questions related to the student guest wireless service may be directed to Charlie Reisinger, IT Director, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.